When Jon Stewart went on to to talk about ideology and partisanship and Fox
News and MSNBC, by way of comparing cable news to his show he came up with
the analogy which -- I may be the only person who thinks this but -- I think
is not a great analogy. "One of my favorite things..Anderson Cooper, I think
he does a really nice job, and he's fun to watch. He's got a bit on his show
that I love called 'Keeping Them Honest,' which is just so funny to me,
because...it'd be like me [saying] I've got a new segment called 'Telling
Jokes To An Audience'...isn't that what this whole thing is."

I actually don't think so, but I think it is being presented here as an
alternative to which we can use to save MSNBC/cable news. There are a lot of
issues, and a lot of events that are not problems of corruption or
dishonesty. "Keeping them honest" would not work, in covering Bin Laden and
Al Qaeda, or a devastating storm causing destruction, or the actual facts of
Climate Change. (Unfortunately, there needs to be such a segment regarding
*coverage* of Climate Change.) There are many issues where there are an
actual ideological difference in opinion and we can't wish it away, just
because party partisans use and abuse ideological disagreements to gain
power. I know Keith Olbermann believes changing the health care system is a
good idea given how much he has spent in advocacy of it on his own show.
However, you can't really separate that from the politics of the issue as
that is an obstacle as is pointing out why the system is the way it is and
who benefits from keeping the status quo.