I think Melissa was being sarcastic.

 (Not surprising since she was like that in college. I'm surprised
martians weren't mentioned...)
----- Original Message ----- From: "donz5" <do...@aol.com>
To: "TVorNotTV" <tvornottv@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:15 PM
Subject: [TV orNotTV] Re: Don Kirshner, producer and TV host, dead at 77

On Jan 18, 2:47 pm, Melissa Neal <drmi...@earthlink.net> wrote:
On Jan 18, 2011, at 10:42 AM, Diner wrote:

> Songwriter and rock producer Don Kirshner died of heart failure on
> Monday at the age of 77 in Boca Raton, Fla. Kirshner wrote "You've
> Lost That Lovin' Feeling" and managed songwriting talent including
> Neil Sedaka, Carole King, Howard Greenfield and many others,
> providing
> songs for The Monkees' TV program in the 1960's, including "I'm a
> Believer."

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall the night Kirshner gave the Monkees their royalty checks and a new song to perform. The Monkees took the checks and told Kirshner they would decide what to record from then on. When Kirshner demanded they do the song, Mike Nesmith punched a hole in the wall next to Kirshner's head and said, "That could have been your f-cking face."

The song Kirshner brought them that eventful night was either Purple Haze or Sugar Sugar. I forget which one.

It was "Sugar Sugar."

http://www.soundspike.com/news/article/1409-don_kirshner_news_rock_n_roll_impresario.html

> He also served as
> exec producer on ABC's "In Concert" and later created his own syndie
> show, "Rock Concert" - notable for its all-live-performances lineup
> after a period of similar shows featuring lipsynched perfs.

Did anyone know who Paul Schaffer was before he started imitating Kirshner on SNL?

He was Paul Shaffer (which the above link also misspells).

Melissa N.