This is the other shoe dropping. Ginger is taking the asshole with her (but,
not yet, Matt).

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/05/couric-closing-in-on-deal-abc-with-an-afternoon-talk-show.html

"One of the most high-profile media courtships may soon be consummated: Katie
Couric<http://www.latimes.com/topic/arts-culture/mass-media/katie-couric-PECLB004188.topic>is
closing in on a deal with Walt
Disney
Co.<http://www.latimes.com/topic/economy-business-finance/media-industry/the-walt-disney-co.-ORCRP017360.topic>'s
ABC<http://www.latimes.com/topic/economy-business-finance/media-industry/television-industry/abc-%28tv-network%29-ORCRP000009600.topic>to
host an afternoon talk
show<http://www.latimes.com/topic/arts-culture/genres/talk-show-%28genre%29-GENRE000085.topic>.
Couric, who anchored the
CBS<http://www.latimes.com/topic/economy-business-finance/cbs-corp.-ORCRP002841.topic>Evening
News for the last time Thursday night, would begin her new
syndicated show in the fall of 2012, according to people familiar with the
negotiations who were not authorized to speak publicly about them. Some of
the major deal points have been hammered out, although there are still
outstanding issues surrounding compensation. The agreement is not expected
to be finalized for at least a week. Couric's contract with CBS ends June 6.
CBS, which until a few weeks ago had also been vying to distribute Couric's
proposed syndicated show, has the right to match any offer to Couric before
her contract ends. The network has not yet waived that right, nor is it
expected to make a counteroffer, said these people with knowledge of the
situation.

Disney Chief Executive Robert A.
Iger<http://www.latimes.com/topic/economy-business-finance/robert-a.-iger-PEBSL000143.topic>has
been "very involved" in the deal, the people said. He has been
particularly interested in bringing Couric to ABC, in part, to fill the
programming void that will be created by the departure of the queen of
daytime TV, Oprah
Winfrey<http://www.latimes.com/topic/entertainment/television/oprah-winfrey-PECLB004206.topic>.
Disney's ABC-owned stations carrry "The Oprah Winfrey
Show<http://www.latimes.com/topic/entertainment/television/oprah-winfrey-show-%28tv-program%29-ENTTV00000003.topic>,"
which will broadcast its last episode Wednesday. "Speculation around Katie
is exciting, but there is no new deal to announce," said Couric's spokesman,
Matthew Hiltzik.

Joining her in the new venture would be Jeff
Zucker<http://www.latimes.com/topic/economy-business-finance/media-industry/jeff-zucker-PEBSL000391.topic>,
former chief executive of NBC
Universal<http://www.latimes.com/topic/economy-business-finance/media-industry/nbcuniversal-ORCRP00000211329.topic>,
who started working with Couric in the late 1980s when he was a producer
with
NBC<http://www.latimes.com/topic/economy-business-finance/media-industry/television-industry/nbc-%28tv-network%29-ORCRP004494.topic>'s
morning show, "Today." Zucker is credited with building
"Today"<http://www.latimes.com/topic/arts-culture/mass-media/news-media/today-%28tv-program%29-ENTTV0000000717.topic>into
a financial and ratings juggernaut, and his and Couric's career
trajectories were closely tied for more than a decade.

The new Couric show is expected to cost about $40 million a year to produce,
according to someone with knowledge of the proposed terms. Couric and Zucker
would have an opportunity to participate in the profits of the show.

Couric raked in $15 million a year salary at the CBS Evening News, a lofty
amount that was criticized at a time when CBS was paring its news
operations. Despite the high salary and expectations, she failed to pull the
newscast out of third place. (SNIP)

Couric's team has long wanted to build a show that would reunite Couric and
longtime "Today" show co-host Matt
Lauer<http://www.latimes.com/topic/arts-culture/mass-media/news-media/matt-lauer-PECLB002940.topic>.
There were internal discussions within Disney about whether to postpone the
debut until 2013, when Lauer would be available. His NBC contract expires in
December 2012.

Inside Disney, the operation to land Couric has been code-named "Ginger,"
said a person with the knowledge of the matter. Executives quip about the
importance of the pairing, joking that "Ginger" would need its "Fred" for
the show to take off. (SNIP)"