http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/28/us/28blagojevich.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss&pagewanted=all

"Rod R. Blagojevich the former governor of Illinois, of trying to personally
benefit from his role in selecting a replacement for President Obama in the
United States Senate. Mr. Blagojevich, a Democrat whose former aides say
once saw himself as a presidential contender some day, was found guilty of
17 counts of wire fraud, attempted extortion, bribery, extortion conspiracy
and bribery conspiracy. He was acquitted on one charge of bribery, and the
jury deadlocked on two counts of attempted extortion. (SNIP)"
**********************

I tag this as "TV" because of his interviews on TDS (where I thought Stewart
did not do a particularly good job of pinning him down either time). Also, I
guess he was on one of the reality shows (or did the prosecutors keep him
off?).

The more important story for me is that the prosecutors did learn their
lesson from the first trial - keeping their narrative simpler and trimming
some of the counts. Prosecutors almost always feel obliged to overcharge and
then over-try high profile cases, no matter how often it gets them in
trouble. OJ Simpson would be serving a life sentence for double murder in
California today if his prosecutors had a little bit of discipline. In this
case the key was focusing like a laser on the point that Blagojevich did not
actually have to by a successful extortionist to be guilty of extortion.
Just trying to get personal benefit for his public duties is a crime (this
was one of the things Stewart did not quite seem to understand when
interviewing him).