The big question is: Do you want to read the e-reader outside,
especially in the sun? If so, the Kindle 3 or the B&N Nook Touch with
their e-ink platform are the best, easily visible in the brightest
sunshine and easier on the eyes (eye fatigue with e-readers is a real
consideration) than back-lit color screens (such as the B&N Nook
Color).

Screen size is 6 inches but that is OK because the weight (also an
important factor) is light and both allow for font style and size
adjustments. Nook Touch is smaller overall because it forgoes a
physical keyboard. Both need external light to read in the dark
(Kindle has some covers that include a built in reading light).

Both Nook Touch and Kindle 3 download books (and magazines,
newspapers, etc -- all in monochrome) via Wi-Fi wireless. That can be
your home or other hotspots. Paying an extra for an optional (no
ongoing or transactional fee) 3G mobile connection is available for
the Kindle 3 which allows for easy downloads and synching on the go.

Both have many titles and cost range from free to around $15-20 per
book (each can store many books - I currently have about 10 on my
Kindle 3 including several 700+page Tom Clancy novels).

Navigation:
Kindle 3 - buttons along the edge
Nook Touch - buttons along the edge - and - finger swipe on screen

Battery (built in; rechargeable) life:
Kindle 3: I have found about 2 weeks of heavy reading (2-3 hours day)
to up to a month, extendable by turning off Wi-Fi until needed.
Nook Touch: No experience but they claim the longest battery life of
up to two months

Cost:
Kindle 3:
$139 FOR Wi-Fi only version
$114 for Wi-Fi only with non-intrusive advertising on the idle/
screensaver pages
$189 for the 3G and Wi-Fi version (no ads)

Nook Touch:
$139

Ultimately it comes down to personal preference. I love my Kindle, my
wife is about to buy the Nook Touch. I hope this helps.

Ron Casalotti
Wayne, NJ