Let me preface by saying that no one really knows the extent of the impact
of a hurricane until it actually passes, but my personal opinion is that she
should be fine where she is (unless, perhaps, she's in a basement
apartment.

The "Zone A" evacuation is precautionary. To get to a Zone B or C evacuation
would take, IMO, at least a Cat 3, likely 4, hurricane. Irene is currently a
Cat 1 with expected "weakening" to Tropical Storm (winds less than 75 mph)
after is passes NYC.

The NYC transit system is shutting down as of 12PM ET, but it takes about 8
hours to complete (likely the final few hours spent on garaging buses and
moving trains to train yards and allowing employees to get home). Taxis will
operate for as long as the drivers feel safe plus "gypsy cabs" -- private
car services -- will be allowed to pick up passengers via street hails as
opposed to the normal telephone arrangements.

The big issues for NYC residents will be three fold. First, wind. Advice:
stay indoors and away from the windows. It is not the wind per se to be
concerned about, but the debris the wind may pick up from rooftops and
construction sites (many of which are hundreds of feet in the air) that is
likely to be the problem. Stay indoors.

Second, flooding. It isl likely your daughter lives in a walk up so she is
not likely to be flooded out. But subway stations and tunnels (as mentioned
on this list earlier) are up to four stories underground. They will flood as
drainage and/or pumps are overwhelmed by the unusual volume of water (which
is why the transit system is shutting down at noon).

Third, power failure. There of course can be a power failure in NYC almost
any day, so she should have flashlights and perhaps a lantern (battery
powered) on hand just in case. Avoid candles as they are a fire risk.

Relocate? It is likely too late as hotel space is scarce. If you or she
feels she must relocate, don't go off of Manhattan which would require using
a bridge or tunnel (it is an island after all), both of which are impacted
early by high winds/heavy rain. If she has a friend in midtown where she can
crash for a night, that should be more than adequate.

*One warning:* Cell service *WILL *be slammed during and just after the
storm. Calls may not go through. BUT, emails and texts are much  more likely
to work (due to their lower bandwidth requirement). So tell her to keep in
touch via text or email to keep you assured.

Keep in mind that the storm will pass NYC in time to likely see the sunset
Sunday night. NYC and Manhattan in particular (and its residents) are
extremely resilient. Unless transportation systems are still down by Monday
morning, she should expect to show up for work -- on time.

Good luck to her and all. If you want the latest news, you can always go on
the 'Net to local NYC TV station Web sites like Http://www.7online.com have
updated news and weather.

Ron Casalotti
Wayne, NJ