On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 9:34 PM, Karla Robinson <
karlasrobin...@zoominternet.net> wrote:

> I beg to differ.
>
> If we, as a culture, spend a large portion of our discretionary time with
> media, shouldn't we study it?  Shouldn't we have symposia where we discuss
> why reality TV is so popular?  What it might be doing to our culture?
>
> I'm sort of shocked hearing that statement coming from you, Kevin, as you
> are one of our most prolific writers about all things pop cultural.
>
> These types of symposia have been going on for a long time...anyone
> remember
> the heyday of "Madonna Studies"?  While "Jersey Shore" may not qualify as
> high art, there are TV shows that do, in my opinion, and I think discussing
> them as high art is totally appropriate.
>
> (Yes, that's the Ph.D. in communications talking.  Yes, I get a little
> defensive when people question my entire field's raison d'etre.  And yes, I
> too hate the very notion of Jersey Shore, but I don't think that means we
> shouldn't talk about it.)

To be fair to the University of Chicago (and academic institutions
everywhere), note the following from the linked article: "David Showalter,
a supremely self-possessed senior who secured financing for the conference
outside the aegis of any particular academic department".

I assume that the fact that Kevin, who as Karla notes is no stranger to
using pop culture as a subject of academic study, is criticizing this
particular event implies that he is not criticizing all pop cultural
studies, but this particular one.

Freud saw art as a sublimation of unconscious id impulses; while he himself
tended to interpret high art (Sophocles, Shakespeare, Leonardo and
Michelangelo for example) he opened the door to the study of any creative
product not as high art, but as symptoms to be interpreted. In that sense,
no matter how low the brow, there may be some value in studying pop culture
phenomena, as they may provide clues about the underlying needs, conflicts
and impulses of the culture in which it is popular. However, if pop culture
is going to be studied, as Karla suggests, in the same way that high art
is, then I think there should be at least some of the form of art -
disciplined imagination, intentional use and play with underlying themes,
skillful techniques. Star Trek, Buffy, The Simpsons, Seinfeld and the
Sopranos are examples of recent pop culture that have been dissected and
deconstructed as often or more than any Greek, British or Russian play or
novel. As pop art these television programs are less complex, less subtle,
less skillfully executed than their high art cousins (which is why they are
more accessible and popular), but they approximate art sufficiently to
justify and repay scholarly examination on their own terms, and not just in
terms of the function they play and clues they provide to the primitive
psyche of the subculture. I have never seen the Jersey Shore, but what I
have heard of it makes me doubt it could pass even the most modest bar to
justify study on its own terms.