Problem with the "he is sort of there" sort of host is that the worst
kept secret in talk shows is the host has to appeal to people. There
are maybe a dozen or so guests who can significantly increase the
ratings to a given show. Otherwise, the ratings are based on whether
viewers will watch the host for the sake of the host (oddly the
opposite is true of a music DJ, which again explains why Seacrest's
will succeed in Arbitrons... they listen for Lady Gaga, not for him).

I don't think Seacrest "makes it look easy." Time and again, he has
proven that he is underwhelming, unengaging, just there to fill the
gaps between the stuff people actually want to see.

People did not watch the Today show when I was younger; they watched
Bryant and Katie. Not sure the same would be said about Ryan and Ann.