On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 5:32 AM, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.latimes.com/business/fi-ct-olympics-ratings-20120811,0,7036585.story
>
> Perhaps giving us some insight into the state of their business, The London
> Olympics are surprisingly going to be one fo the top 5 television events of
> all time, and the result is that NBC has a good chance of breaking even on
> the games.
>
> I am most interested in the note that people are watching the primetime show
> even when they already know the results - I hope this makes them more likely
> to televise the premium events live next time during the day, which many
> have been arguing would actually improve primetime highlight show ratings. I
> would like to know what percentage of the primetime audience already knows
> the results of one or more major events.

By coincidence I have a tab open on my browser with an article from
the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review about Pittsburgh's relatively low
ranking in the Olympics ratings. I will put a link at the end of my
post, but I recommend it only if you have some interest in Pittsburgh
sports ratings. The thing I find of interest and relevant is the
geographic spread of Olympic popularity. It is not uniform across the
country and it would be nice to get some depth into why the ratings
are so much higher in some places rather than others.

The thing I am looking for is the Pittsburgh prime time ratings for
Thursday when the CBS O&O showed a Steelers exhibition game against
the Olympics. The Trib article uses average ratings for the first
twelve evenings which only goes to Tuesday. If it were a regular
season game I have no doubt the Steeler game would trounce the
Olympics but I'd like to know about an exhibition game. The Trib
article notes that the Pirates are drawing viewers to Root Sports
thanks to a (finally) good season and notes that Pittsburgh has one of
the lowest city Olympics ratings when Pirates ratings are high.

Here are the top cities from a sidebar to the Trib article (plus
Pittsburgh, tied for 39th with Cincinnati out of 56 metered markets:

 1. Salt Lake City 26.5/47

2. Kansas City 24.3/40

3. Milwaukee 24.2/40

4. Denver 23.9/45