n Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 10:26 AM, David Lynch <djly...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My feeling is that Last Resort would be the sort of show that would work
> well as a 6- or 13-week miniseries where the entire narrative arc could be
> plotted out by the moment you started shooting the pilot, but that kind of
> show just doesn't get made that often in the US these days, and especially
> not by a major broadcast network, so you end up with episode 1 setting up a
> great premise and then the series going adrift.

Exactly - but I don't understand why that kind of show doesn't get made
more often. Wouldn't the networks be making better bets to invest their
money in shorter term projects that are better thought out? It seems like
they would even be better off committing to 13 weeks of a show that
ultimately did not work than paying for an airing 7 episodes of an even
worse show, that just makes them look bad, and pisses over the small
fraction (but still several million) people who actually like the show and
don't like to see it get cancelled.

I think if I were in charge of a broadcast network that is the main
difference I would immediately implement: All series pitches should be 4, 6
or 12 episode arcs, and must contain a pilot script and outlines for all
remaining episodes. If a pilot gets green-lighted, the network makes a
commitment to air all of the agreed upon episodes in the arc, regardless of
ratings. If the ratings are good (or if there is some other reason to
justify it) the network would have the option to extend it for up to a pre
agreed maximum number of mini-seasons or arcs, after which they would have
to renegotiate with the producers if they wanted more (or the producers
could take the show to a different network).