> I think if I were in charge of a broadcast network that is the main
> difference I would immediately implement: All series pitches should be 4, 6
> or 12 episode arcs, and must contain a pilot script and outlines for all
> remaining episodes.

For the kind of show with an overarching narrative we're talking about
here, this makes a lot of sense. And promising to show the entire run
will make it easier for viewers to commit. Personally, I'm very
reluctant to watch one of these for fear that it'll be gone in four
weeks, and I'll never find out what "Coronet Blue" is. Alternatively,
if the show hits, it'll meander for five years before it reaches a
conclusion.

For more traditional shows where each episode stands pretty much on
its own, like sitcoms and detective dramas, pitching an arc is
unnecessary. I think that networks get outlines (at least) for the
first several episodes before production starts, so they have an idea
of where the series goes, but that's sufficient.