Speaking for myself, when I saw the category "Academy Awards" come up on my
first game, I mentally cursed, since Oscar trivia is one of my Achilles
heels. I bet on the principle of "what's the most I can wager and still
have more money if the second place person gets it right and doubles their
money?" If I had known I'd get the question right, I'd have bet far more.
(When we saw the answer, I went through a thought process of deduction and
elimination that, at the time, felt like 30 seconds. Watching the tape,
though, I'm writing immediately, which only shows how deceptive of minds
can be.)

In the second game, I felt a little more secure in the category (Classical
Music), but knew I had to bet everything and hope that the leader got it
wrong. I thought the way the question in that game was written to lead one
into answering Mozart, which I almost did, but then thought about it and
wrote down the correct answer of Beethoven. Unfortunately, so did the woman
who beat me ...

So, while I can't speak for the strategy of others, those were mine.

--Dave Sikula