I don't follow the auto racing that closely, but I don't recall political types
coming out of the woodwork for either the Weldon crash in 2011 (which prompted
some lengthy threads here) or the crash a few years ago (2009, apparently)
which would be the last time in NASCAR that spectators were injured from a
similar crash.  It wasn't nearly as nasty as today's crash, but the fences were
involved in each case.

David