Correct. WWE has been trying to make inroads into the Latino market for
years by importing luchadors like Rey Mysterio and Sin Cara (Mistico), as
well as the wrestler in question here, current World Heavyweight Champion
Alberto Del Rio.  But WWE never fully embraced the lucha style to the
extent that WCW or ECW did - rather, they expect the luchadors to adapt
their high-flying ways to the "WWE style" of in-ring storytelling.
 Effectively, McMahon is conceding that they're not going to compete with
the lucha promotions on style, so they're going for character & story.

This is hardly the first time WWE has played up the immigration issue, but
it IS the first time they're wrapped it in the cloak of an actual political
movement.