On Apr 19, 2013, at 11:06 PM, Wesley (in Colorado) wrote:

> OK, this is a topic I can irresponsibly speculate on safely without facts or
> evidence, so I shall. It might be an artifact of corporate structure when
> MSNBC was a separate division from NBC News, itself an artifact from when
> Microsoft owned a percentage of it. (It's still a sister-division today.) Or
> it might be affiliate relations.
>
> Anyway, I do not get MSNBC yet so I could not see how they performed, or how
> much their coverage diverged from NBC's, but I do agree NBC News did a good
> job of coverage.

Since I was up too late watching it, I can tell you that the special report
that aired on NBC early Friday morning from 3:15 to 4:00 Eastern/12:15 to 1:00
Pacific originated from MSNBC, which is something I've seen happen before
during "off hours."

I guess the policy is that they'll simulcast MSNBC over on NBC, but they won't
simulcast NBC over on MSNBC.  I'm thinking you might be on to something with
the "affiliate relations" idea, that they've promised the affiliates that live
NBC News-with-a-capital-N programming will stay exclusive to the broadcast
network -- so they don't have to worry about, for example, MSNBC cannibalizing
"Today" viewership by simulcasting it at 7:00 Eastern, with no local
news/weather/commercial inserts.

--
Jim Ellwanger <train...@ellwanger.tv>
<http://www.ellwanger.tv>