On Sat, Jun 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM, David Lynch <djly...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 June 2013 21:26, Brad Beam <b.b...@suddenlink.net> wrote:
>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: David Lynch
>>

>>  There are rumo(u)rs circulating that show runner Steven Moffat had made
>>> enemies of several people on the set, including Smith and Jenna-Louise
>>> Coleman, and that he issued the Beeb an ultamatum that Moffat goes or he
>>> goes. If the reports are true, I guess we know which way they decided.
>>>

>> Hmmm. The lead actor in a show where the lead character can change their
>> appearance offers an "it's me or him" ultimatum? This doesn't sound like
>> negotiating from a position of strength -- or intelligence.
>

> It's not exactly as strong a position for Smith as it would be for other
> title characters, but I'm not sure that Moffat's all that irreplaceable as
> a showrunner, either. He could easily "decide to focus on Sherlock" or some
> new venture. (On the other hand, the BBC may not want to piss off the
> showrunner of one of their big cash cows by replacing him as showrunner of
> another of their big cash cows.)

I have not seen the reports of conflict, but even if true I think there
have been enough signs that Smith has also been approaching his satiation
point with the role for a while now. I suspect that even if he did make
some kind of ultimatum he was probably hoping at least as much that it
would result in him walking as staying.

Coleman is a beauty, but it may be that the chemistry between Smith and
Gillan was so special that all post-Pond Smith episodes are going to pale a
bit in comparison.