On Tuesday, June 11, 2013 5:15:50 PM UTC-4, Mark Jeffries wrote:

> Yep, not "with."  Just like Carson.  Oh yeah, one of Fallon "Late Night"'s
> writers from the beginning, Amy Ozols, is the showrunner.  Cue Leno
> apologists' comments on the link in 3..2...:
>

> http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/late-night-vet-amy-ozols-produce-fallons-tonight-show-96591

Jay mentioned on the show a few weeks ago that when he first got the job,
he told his mother he would be doing "The Tonight Show Starring Jay Leno,"
but she thought that "Starring" was too ostentatious, so he changed the
word to "With." He sounded like he still wasn't happy with the decision,
and that he basically made the change to avoid embarrassing her. (She died
about a year after he took over.)

I've always thought that Jay's run (and Conan's run too, for that matter)
would have been more successful had they kept "Starring." "With" makes you
think the show you're about to see is nothing special. "Starring" makes you
think what you're about to see is The Tonight Show.

-Tim