> The idea that MLB would now only allow the World Series to appear OTA
> depresses me to my very core. Every other pro sport in the US airs at
least
> some portion of their playoffs on OTA.

I was struck that this year was the first time since television that
postseason Pirate games didn't appear on broadcast TV.

> The optimist says there's no way MLB lets this happen. The optimist isn't
> right that often.

If so much of the postseason is already unavailable OTA, I doubt MLB will
have a problem with putting more on cable. Unless Congress is willing to
act (the NFL's blackout rules for sold-out home games are a direct result
of Congressional pressure in the '70s), more and more sporting events will
end up on less available channels.

> But if there's any truth to yesterday's Wall Street Journal's story that
the NFL is considering a
> Thursday night doubleheader, the "extra" games would come out of the
Fox/CBS Sunday
> afternoon allotment, and FS1 could very well be the winning bidder for
that package, thus
> effectively moving some of Fox's NFL games to FS1.

It's easy to imagine that Fox's desire to put NFL games on FS1 is what's
driving the whole second Thursday game movement. (And I agree with everyone
that no Thursday games is better than one Thursday game is better than two
Thursday games.)