On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Jim Ellwanger <train...@ellwanger.tv>wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2013, at 1:51 PM, Brad Beam wrote:
>
> > I can’t think that NFLN would go head-to-head against a network
> broadcast. Perhaps NFLN could take a West Coast game, as they did with the
> Raiders’ Sunday late-night game several weeks back.
>
> However, there are only four West Coast teams, plus two in the Mountain
> time zone.  Either those 6 teams end up on Thursday nights much more often
> than the other 26, or some games get played in the Eastern and Central time
> zones with late start times, or they have the two Thursday night games
> going head-to-head to some extent. (SNIP)

But, the only reason I can think of for two Thursday Night games is that
the NFL is looking at those 12-16 games per week as so much valuable
potential TV programming content, and thinks it is somehow wasting that
profit potential by showing so many of them in the same time slots on
sunday mornings/afternoons. How does it help them to move a second game to
Thursday if they only wind up overlapping them again?

This of course misses a big part of the appeal of the NFL, which is how
compartmentalized it is on Sundays. It is very easy to follow an NFL
season, and there is a natural rhythm in building up anticipation for each
Sunday's games. MNF has been an enhancing exception to this, though still
keeping it confined to an extended weekend. With Thursday games I am
constantly losing track of who is playing and when, and it is often not
clear to me emotionally whether I am watching the first game of the next
week or the last game of the previous week.