On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Dave Sikula <dsik...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't disagree with you about Jay, but I'll just add further how debased
> Dave has made his brand. The great moments of his show happened either on
> "Late Night" or in the first years of his stint at CBS. I think anyone
> would be hard-pressed to assemble even a half-hour clip show of highlights
> from the last ten years of "Late Show;" once Dave started phoning it it. I
> mean, beyond the 9/17/2001 show, the return from heart surgery, and the
> birth of Harry, (and note how long ago all of those were) it's been pretty
> tough sledding in the Ed.

I will resist the temptation to give a full-throated defense of Dave, and
just make two notes:

1. Dave (Sikula) is grossly underestimating the number of really memorable
shows/interviews Dave has had. The last show with Zevon really can make a
case to be one of the ten best episodes of any show of any kind; the show
when he reveals the extortion attempt was riveting. The show he did the
night Carson died, that one particular show he did when he called O'Reilly
on his bullshit, the show he did during the 2008 election when McCain stood
him up, his riffs on the Leno/Conan wars. Those are just a few, he has had
a series of really interesting interviews with serious guests, and
thoughtful reflections on national tragedies and the deaths of people
important to him and the show.

2. I liked Carson fine, and saw many of his shows live, but I think you
will find that Dave has had more memorable moments in the last 10 years
than Carson had in the ten years before he retired.