The 2000 Carol Marin experiment pretty much killed serious local newscasts.
I think Tom's right, both from the dead horse and reduced budget spiral
perspectives. The problem, fundamentally, is that there is absolutely *no*
hard news available in the majority of media markets (the newspapers are
cut to the marrow).

My suggestion (not that anyone would listen): aim for a single 35-minute
newscast at 10 ET. If it's on a network, push the network broadcast back to
10:35. This would reduce the budget (news is just housewife filler at noon
and 4-8 PM), increase the likelihood of getting a (slightly) younger
audience, and would allow for shifting resources away from pointless live
pieces to to less pointless pieces that allow for depth. Not that anyone
wants that.

I'll just shut up and stop dreaming now.