> My father - who lived in NY in the 60s - claims that the first time US TV
> tried football (soccer), they had officials hold up throw ins and corners
> to squeeze a thirty second spot in.

In 1967, CBS carried some games from the National Professional Soccer
League. There was some controversy after one game where players claimed the
referee had told them to stay down feigning injury while CBS showed a
commercial.

There was also a Steelers at Chiefs game a few years back where KDKA-TV in
Pittsburgh got into trouble for compressing the game so they could fit in
extra spots. (It was, of course, painfully obvious to people getting their
audio from the radio.)