With the record for most Carson Tonight Show appearances (WaPo says 150+) I
guess it is not surprising that I pretty much only knew him as a guest and
guest host on that program. Older comics who appeared on that show I knew
either from my parent's or grandparent's stories (or their movies or old TV
shows), and younger comics I knew from my own experience either seeing them
live or on other TV programs. I knew his contemporaries (he was the same
age as Çarlin, and only a few years older than Pryor) from their albums.
But Brenner I only knew from Johnny - and frankly never thought he was all
that funny, and if you told me he was not really a comic, but an actor
pretending to be a comic on the Tonight Show, I would believe you (though I
know he was a hard working stand up, working almost right up to the end).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/comedian-david-brenner-tonight-favorite-dies/2014/03/15/656ca812-ac91-11e3-b8ca-197ef3568958_story.html