I think it's more likely that Geoff has mechanical trouble from time to
time because he wasn't designed with his current use in mind.  As Doug
mentioned, he started life essentially as a 360 Systems Instant
Replay<http://www.360systems.com/audio_instantreplay.html>connected to a
skeleton.  I'd imagine that in his original incarnation,
Geoff's mouth, neck & (then) one good arm probably saw about 1/8 as much
use on a nightly basis as they do now that JRT is providing a live voice
every night.  Grant has given Geoff some incremental upgrades over time
(the second working arm, most notably...although his genitals are still
stuck at customs), but short of pulling Geoff from service for significant
upgrades or making a Geoff 2.0, I don't imagine Geoff's fragility would
change anytime soon.