n Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 7:22 PM, Bob Jersey <bob.in.jer...@juno.com> wrote:

> As well he should be, after a good friend of his, critic and writer Martha
> Nochimson, *had* to know what happened at the end of *The Sopranos*, so
> Chase told her *something*, which she reported at Vox
> <http://www.vox.com/2014/8/27/6006139/did-tony-die-at-the-end-of-the-sopranos>
> (link)... his rep Leslee Dart repeated the long-held position to TheWrap
> <http://www.thewrap.com/sopranos-creator-david-chases-rep-blasts-report-claiming-tony-sopranos-still-alive/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=contactology>
> (link) that there is no answer...

I read the Nochimson piece earlier today, and was curious about this. Just
before she gives Chase's answer in the text, she writes:

"On occasion he [Chase] breaks his reserve, but makes it clear that I am
not to write about anything he says that is an interpretation of his own
work, since he believes that the art of entertaining is leaving the
audience imagination to run wild. So when he answered the "is Tony dead"
question, he was laconic."

On first reading, I assumed this meant that Chase had given her permission
to just write the one word answer to the question. But when I went back and
read it a couple of more times, it seemed that Chase never did give her
that permission, and indeed was pretty clear that the answer to that
question was off the record. She does not address this question in the rest
of the article. I don't blame him for being pissed.