On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 3:29 PM, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 10:10 AM, Tom Wolper <twol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> (SNIP) The only thing I heard that has any insider credibility was on a
>> Carson
>> Podcast <http://carsonpodcast.com/tom-dreesen/> with Tom Dreesen. He
>> said that Dave will be like Johnny - once he's off the air you'll never see
>> him again.
>>

> This is one of the more interesting questions. I had thought that too, but
> then I read a report from someone who knows Dave but was not claiming to
> have specifically talked with about this that predicted he would not be
> like Carson, and would find something to do to keep him in the public eye -
> or ear. Maybe something like what Seinfeld is doing, or a weekly hour on
> the Howard Stern channel or something like that.

I haven't brought out a full recommendation of the Carson Podcast because
it is so uneven. I have listened to about half of the episodes so far there
is a bit of insight of how Carson's Tonight Show worked and, if the guest
is a performer known for other roles, too much talk about the other roles.

Apropos of this thread there was a short interview with Al Jean. He and
Mike Scully were hired to write for the Tonight Show in 1983 when Johnny
wanted a younger staff. They lasted, I think, 18 months. Later, when they
were doing The Simpsons, Jean had a business relationship with Jeff
Soltzing, who is Carson's nephew and runs Carson Productions. As a long
shot Jean and Scully asked Soltzing if Carson would do an episode of The
Simpsons and to all their surprise Carson agreed.

On the day of the voice taping Jean warned all of the people working there
that Johnny was very shy and they could expect him to be distant. When
Johnny showed up Jean was surprised how open and charming Johnny was toward
everybody. He even spent some time answering questions. Someone asked why
Johnny no longer appeared on TV and he said that he saw what happened with
Bob Hope and took it as a warning. After Hope stopped doing regular
specials (an oxymoron, I know) on NBC he still would do unplanned walk-ons
on the Tonight Show. Johnny saw that he had nothing new to present and the
loyalty of the audience was fading but Hope craved the attention and the
show could ill afford the negative publicity around telling a living legend
he was no longer welcome.

What's true for Johnny is also true for Dave and Jay. They spent the peak
years of their careers in a situation where they were in total control and
set the agendas. Once the show is handed over they can only be guests on
someone else's show and get their ovations not for who they are now and
what they are doing, but only for what they have done in the past.

When Dave talked with Jerry Seinfeld at the Paley Center he asked a lot
about the logistics of Comedians With Cars and maybe it gives him some
ideas.