On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 8:08 PM, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am also not sure of the math behind the "80%/30% formulation (see full
> quote below). If a population of 1000 viewers watch 20 programs a week, and
> 80% think Program X is "pretty good" (say, it is their 15th favorite
> program), while 30% think Program Y is "great", (their favorite program),
> is Program Y really more valuable? That depends on how many programs people
> watch. If we assume that they all watch at least 20 programs a week (and,
> in the on-demand environment, they are now able to watch each of their top
> 20 programs), then 800 people would watch Program X, while only 300 people
> would watch Program Y, and Program X is still more valuable. The better
> loved program is only more valuable if the less loved program is ranked
> below the lowest ranked program that the audience actually watches. In the
> completely on demand environment there probably is some advantage to
> targeting passionate viewers as opposed to broad spectrum viewers, but I
> think the author is overstating it.

The value of the passionate viewer is they are paying attention... and they
will pay in other ways, too. As a result, everything from regular
advertising to product placement to merchandising has more value. Just as
magazines target so-called "power readers" with ads for Omega watches and
other high-end products the vast majority of readers won't purchase, TV
producers can cultivate a certain audience. When Dan Harmon took Harmontown
on the road across the country, fans flocked (and paid) to watch a bunch of
drunks babble on stage and play Dungeons & Dragons (I'm not being critical;
I've been and I'd go again). There isn't a CSI-Con happening in San Diego
in a few weeks, but there is a Comic-Con, where fans of sci-fi, fantasy,
and the like will brave traffic and not be allowed to sit in line, just for
the chance to hear an anecdote from a (probably stoned and/or intoxicated)
writer or producer or star (I'm not being critical; I've been and I'd go
again). There will always be a market for Star Trek memorabilia, but there
aren't many lunch boxes still floating around with "Sonny Spoons" or
"Hunter" on them. There is power beyond the number of people who watch,
whatever the actual percentages are. Just ask George Lucas.