With regard to ESPN being sold as a standalone package like HBO Now, Disney
CEO Bob Iger is reported as saying it won't happen for another five years.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/07/27/disney-ceo-iger-espn-could-one-day-be-sold-direct.html

I assume that those cable agreements regarding inclusion of ESPN as "basic"
will be unsustainable by then.

I pay attention to this stuff because in the UK, sports packages have
always been sold as a separate premium tier. As a consequence Sky Sports
(The UK's nearest equivalent to ESPN) costs an additional £25.50 a month
($40). Since the cost base is broadly similar, and UK Premier League rights
are now about second only to NFL rights globally in terms of cost having
seen massive recent inflation, fewer subscribers means much more per
subscriber cost when they go a la carte.

When the day comes that ESPN is not bundled as a basic cable service but
has to be bought separately either as part of your cable package or via a
standalone internet package, the cost is going to be a massive jump for
those who want to continue watching sport.

(And this gets more complicated when additional players come into the TV
sports market. In the UK, BT Sport (analogous to Fox Sports of NBC Sports
perhaps) has made a big play with Champions' League rights as well as some
Premier League rights, and for some subscribers that means *another* £24
($37) a month. That's a lot of money to watch football!)

Adam