On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 7:16 PM, Joe Hass <hassgoc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I cannot find a previous occurrence where a network willingly gave up
> (even via negotiation) TV rights for an event.

For what it's worth, this has happened a few times in the UK, particularly
with the BBC.

The Open golf will no longer be live on the BBC for the first time ever.
Sky Sports won the rights from 2017 leaving the BBC with just evening
highlights. The BBC was due to broadcast the final year of its contract in
2016, but has now sold the rights to that final yea on to Sky.
(Incidentally, that only leaves the Masters on live free-to-air TV - the
BBC. This at a time when golf in the UK is seeing popularity falling.)

Then there was the case of Six Nations rugby - a competition between
England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, France and Italy each year. The BBC had
exclusive rights until 2017, but with the contract coming up for renewal,
the rights will be shared with ITV. And the BBC has again brought forward
the sharing, beginning next season.

Finally the BBC also did a deal with Sky some years ago when it had
exclusive Formula One rights, agreeing to share rights in exchange for
reducing the fee it paid. Sky shows every race live, while the BBC shows
only half the races. Consequently they missed live coverage of Lewis
Hamilton winning the Championship in Texas at the weekend.

In each of these cases, it was simply a case of saving money on sports
rights. This comes at a time when the BBC has challenges around funding
shortcomings, the details of which I could bore you with, but are
complicated but big.

Adam