> Because I don't recall the 2004 episode that Trump hosted,
> I was wondering if anyone with firsthand viewing of both
> would compare the two.

While there's a pretty good chance I saw the 2004 episode, I have no
recollection of it, either.

> I certainly don't recall any controversy of his hosting back
> then.  Of course, no Presidential run, and his stupid,
> nonsensical BS was restricted to his 'reality program.'
> But he had to have been a hack back then, right?

He was NBC's hack, so there was a place for him. Also, SNL has always liked
mixing in the occasional non-show biz host (going back to Ron Nessen),
where the reaction tends to be "Look at how game he is" and "It's nice that
she can laugh at herself."

> It seems most of the Trump-protests to this appearance
> were based on his anti-immigrant hatred and general racism.

I didn't follow any of this, but my guess is that most of the reaction was
just to Trump being a candidate the protesters really dislike, rather than
specific positions. (Which is not to say that people who oppose specific
positions wouldn't make themselves heard as well.)

Ultimately, to whatever extent the show was less funny than normal, it was
probably a mix of the weird atmosphere that would engulf the offices on a
week like this and dealing with what Trump was and wasn't willing to do.