I tend to watch Norton dependent on the guests, but he's been doing it for
many years now, so he's pretty good at it, even if he's never going to make
anyone's life uncomfortable.

I've mentioned it before, but if you want to hear a discussion about
British chat shows, then you can hear Norton explaining his philosophy. and
how he manages multiple guests in this episode of The Media Show from a
year ago: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04vr5j2

In essence, they try to plan it out carefully so that he has commonalities
between guests, and that does take a bit of time and effort - something
that's much harder to do if you've got five shows a week.

What I do find interesting are the guest booking "politics" of the show.
Because in the UK there are really only his show and Jonathan Ross's
Saturday night show on ITV*, each of which only airs once a week, all the
A-listers have to be squeezed into either show. Norton's show is bigger so
it's the most desirable. That does mean especially towards the end of the
year as you can't move for awards-friendly films, they are spoilt for
choice. The couch can have three or more guests, each of which ordinarily
would be enough star-power for any one other show.

That does sometimes mean that stars don't actually all come out together,
and they do two "batches." I can only imagine the behind-the-scenes
guest-wrangling about who comes out with who and when. Only very
occassionally is a guest genuinely late arriving at the studio because
they've crossed London from a West End premiere to the studios - it's less
than a mile from Leicester Sq where most films premiere in London, to the
London Studios where Norton is recorded.

Doug, the older actress from this week was Miriam Margolyes, who's defining
characteristic seems to be telling outrageous stories as an older woman
(she's a character actress as much as anything, although I think she's had
one-woman shows). Personally I find her irritating in the extreme.

Adam

* Strictly speaking there are other shows of course including the breakfast
TV shows, the One Show (hard for me to describe...) and Alan Carr on
Channel 4 for the slightly more downmarket guest.