On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 10:50:30 AM UTC-5, Joe Hass wrote:

> To be clear, I'm not implying that the rest on TV News are sainthood
> nominees when it comes to this. Mr Block simply put the evidence together.
> If someone else would like to put together evidence in a similar method,
> I'll be happy to post it with the subject line "<%Name> Also Doesn't
> Understand Time".

A couple years ago I had to spend several hours in a car dealership's
waiting room while my car was being serviced. The TV in the waiting room
was tuned to CNN. I noticed that they had a very curious definition of
breaking news. Very often before a commercial break they would say, "Coming
up, breaking news about..." - which doesn't make much sense. If it's
breaking, break it to us!
Sometimes the "breaking" item wasn't even the first report after the
commercial - it would be in the segment after the *following* commercial
break. So in other words, "breaking news" had become a synonym for "an item
coming up in 10 or 15 minutes that we want you to stick around for." And
when they did their roundup of the top stories at every half hour, a
"breaking news" animation would be attached to one of the stories, even if
there were no updates to the story since the last time they reported on it.