What strikes me - from afar - as strange here is that ESPN is still
producing the pictures.

With international football (soccer) fixtures, the per game production
costs are lower. Another network  provides a world feed and local networks
supplement that to a greater or lesser degree. Sending announcers to a dull
midweek fixture that you're not producing is an expensive luxury from the
network's perspective.

But on home turf? The cost saving is surely a handful of flights and some
hotel accommodation.  That feels like penny pinching if the cost for rights
of that game is, say, into seven figures.

In Europe we get lots of football "off tube" as it's known in the business
here, but usually for overseas fixtures. It would be unthinkable to do it
for a domestic fixture. Granted we're a smaller country and any game is
within a 4-5 hour drive time for commentators.

I do find it odd that it's being directed from Bristol. That means
satellite uplinks for every camera feed rather than s single game feed.
That feels expensive.

One way or another, if rapant inflation in rights fees are adversely
impacting on production values, that's a bad thing.

Adam