I didn't really watch this year's contest, although it was clearly the most
political yet, with real news stories about Russia's reaction to it coming
out of the competition.

The thing to know is that different people treat it very differently. In
the UK, it's seen as a bit of a joke, albeit one everyone can get together
to enjoy. For the last few years, none of the UK's entrants have even been
heard of before. I believe the same is true in Germany. On top of that,
heavily politicised and factionalised voting means that it would need
someone like Adele to perform for the UK to win.

But in other countries it's treated much more seriously and something of an
honour. Some countries use famous performers in their region, with an
acknowledged fanbase. It's always amusing that Russia is so serious about
trying to win the single most LGBT-friendly global event imaginable.

It's very strange that Logo didn't have the rights to Justin Timberlake, as
I'd have thought that all rights would have been granted to any country
that takes the show as you would expect with an Olympic opening ceremony or
whatever.

I reckon that Eurovision would love the US to enter a song. Australia's
entry seems to have been a big hit - and that's despite the time difference
meaning that the show airs early on a Sunday morning.

Adam