Often, events in real life have more entertainment value than anything anyone
could make up.

This is a good example.  Movie?  Made-for-TV movie?

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 12:14 PM, Joe Hass <hassgoc...@gmail.com> wrote:

Since you went there:

The New York Times reported that a co-founder of PayPal covered the entire
legal expenses for Hogan in that suit, basically trying to sue Gawker out of
business after another Gawker-owned blog outed him several years ago. The tip
off was legal maneuvers behaviors that were not consistent with a traditional
strategy of trying to capitalize the amount of cash obtained in a victory.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/25/business/dealbook/peter-thiel-is-said-to-bankroll-hulk-hogans-suit-against-gawker.html

You can think Gawker is a piece of shit. You can think Gawker is the future of
journalism. But if the increasing frequency of rich companies and people using
the cost of a lawsuit to bully members of the media into being nice story
tellers doesn't terrify you from a purely oligarchical standpoint (even though
we're already there), I would unironically play the "wake up, sheeple" card.

I actually have no moral dilemmas about rich people spending money to thwart
click-bait whores. I don't consider them to be journalists by any definition,
so if the rich are somehow able to shut them down, there are worse ways for
them to be spending their money.