On Saturday, August 20, 2016, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 8:57 PM, Kevin M. <drunkbastar...@gmail.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','drunkbastar...@gmail.com');>> wrote:
>>

>> It turns out that posting somebody's sex tape without their permission
>> doesn't qualify as journalism, for which Gawker was taken to court and
>> punished. The case was bankrolled by a guy they outed, which also doesn't
>> qualify as journalism. Gawker called themselves journalists and were proven
>> repeatedly to not be. And for that they are no more.
>>

> Says who? It isn't only good journalism that deserves protection.

Says a jury. And we aren't talking about journalism. We are talking about a
website that posted a home made porn as click-bait.

> Posting sex tapes and outing sexual orientation are not disqualifications
> from the protections afforded journalists - and even are not really per se
> irresponsible journalism.
>
> I agree, but journalists didn't post the video; it was posted to drive
traffic to a website.

> I think half of what comes across Fox news is shabby stuff and does not
> deserve the proud label of journalism - but I would defend them against
> attempts to sue them in court. Irresponsible, obnoxious, bad  and even
> harmful journalism is the price we pay for a free society.

No it isn't. And unless FoxNews aired a sex tape of Macho Man Randy Savage
snapping into more than a Slim Jim, there is no comparison. There are
limits to free speech, as courts have ruled time and again. This time
around a jury decided that a sex tape posted without permission had no
journalistic merit. It wasn't bad journalism because it wasn't journalism.
It was invasion of somebody's privacy and Gawker's only defense was that
since the person is a public figure, they are not entitled to privacy. They
hid behind the 1st Amendment the same way a guy who wants to own a garage
full of rocket launchers hides behind the 2nd Amendment. It is a bullsh*t
defense, and a jury saw through it.

Bad journalism is protected by the 1st Amendment. Nonexistent journalism is
not.