Amazon has unveiled only three pilots for this pilot season. While I’d
like to see more, all three were good and at least one seems binge
worthy.

“The Tick” is a third version of the superhero take off that began
with a cartoon on FOX back in the 1990s. The version in the pilot
seems closer in spirit to that version than the live action version
starring Patrick Warburton. At least based on my vague memory. Much of
it is a parody of superhero comics, with “The Tick” suffering through
a kind of dimwitted angst. As “Deadpool” showed, the country is ripe
for superhero parodies. There were no real laugh-out loud moments, but
I liked the overall tone and pacing. I’d watch a series.

Next up is “Jean-Claude Van Johnson.” Van Damme’s career has taken
such a dive he’s willing to be the butt of 22 minutes worth of
Jean-Claude Van Damme jokes. Many of them are great. Like when he is
in disguise and he has to subdue someone who thinks “Time Cop”
(starring Van Damme) is better than “Looper” with Bruce Willis.
Another scene has him talking sweetly to a woman he is trying to
seduce over his smartphone headset while he chokes out a bad guy and
his lips are actually close to the bad guy’s ear. This pilot has for
me several laugh-out loud moments, but I’m a sucker for this kind of
goofy humor. Van Damme still can’t act but he’s good enough to deadpan
the jokes here. Phylicia Rashad gives an uncharacteristic high-energy
comic performance as Van Damme/Van Johnson’s handler. She seems more
cool jazz.

I loved the pilot of “Jean-Claude  Van Johnson,” but I wonder how they
could stretch it into an entire season. Of course, I’m also the same
guy who, in an earlier version of this discussion group, predicted
Stephen Colbert wouldn’t be able to keep it up when he started “The
Colbert Report.”

Finally, there’s “I Love Dick,” from “Transparent” creator Jill
Solway. I read a glowing review of the pilot on “The Guardian,” but
Amazon viewers were less charitable. Because of the middling reviews,
I saved it for last. I liked it best. Solway and everyone else does a
great job of melding hugely flawed characters. Kevin Bacon plays Dick,
a charismatic teacher of some sort. I’m not sure of what. Maybe he’s a
Tony Robbins kind of guy. Griffin Dunne plays a writer who moves from
New York to a Texas town where Dick teaches to accept a fellowship.
God when was the last time I saw Griffin Dunne? Kathyrn Hahn plays
Dunne’s wife, who begins writing letters to Dick and serves as the
center of a love triangle. The dialogue is intelligent as all three
main characters trip over their flaws. There’s lots of subtle, sublime
moments. Screw Amazon reviewers. Except that Amazon may base its
decision to pick up the series based on their reviews. "I Love Dick"
was my favorite of the three pilots.