This is all front page news in the UK because this is the biggest show on
British television. And when I say biggest, I mean bigger than everything,
including the Olympics, England football and anything else.

A couple of things worth noting here:

- BBC One and ITV are the biggest two networks, and quite simply, switching
channels beyond those two will definitely see a fall in ratings if all
things remained the same.

- Channel 4 is probably about the fourth biggest network in the UK, but
although it's a state broadcaster (so not privately owned), it's funded by
advertising.

- It seems that the production company that owns the rights, Love
Productions, may have turned down an even bigger offer from ITV where it
wouldn't have fitted.

- Love Productions, which created and owns the format, is 70% owned by Sky
which in turn is 39% owned by Rupert Murdoch.

The biggest thing here is that Channel 4 seemed to have bought the format
without securing the talent. As Mark mentions above the two presenters have
announced they're quitting, and the pressure will be on to see what the two
judges, Paul and Mary, do. Without the talent, C4 has basically bought a
large tent in a field, and I would suspect will really struggle to recoup
its investment. Oddly enough, which network airs a show is a *big thing* in
the UK, and the production company are probably seen as really greedy by
the public at large for not doing a deal with the BBC. They may have
thought that they had the BBC over a barrel because it's the biggest show
on TV, but a tough new funding regime and a need not to  be bullied means
the BBC clearly played hardball and lost.

I suspect that it won't happen, but yes, it would be very easy to
reconstitute another competitive cookery show. Indeed Masterchef remains
fairly popular on BBC One (with a spinoff on BBC Two) having run in one
guise or another for many years. I can, however, seeing all involved
getting lots of other shows on the BBC if they don't go to C4. While the
BBC is fairly constrained in what it can pay key talent compared with what,
say, ITV might pay, there are other benefits. Popular shows like Bake Off
see spin-off recipe books become best sellers, and there's lots of money to
be made there by the talent. The bigger the show, the more books get sold.

It'll be one to watch.

Adam (Who met his old boss last week to hear about the new Union Jack
service. It's based on the Jack FM format, the rights to which they own in
the UK. The difference being that it's not there to compete with local
services (this is national), so skews older, and yes, more British.
www.unionjack.co.uk where you might be able to listen without being blocked
if you're outside the UK)