For those who don't know, I was an NBC Page in the late 1990s. Working on
the Burbank lot, what made my tours a little different from the ones led by
other pages was that I tried to incorporate everybody on the lot, because I
learned quickly that the script they gave us was dry, and sometimes an
audio engineer or union guy would have a humdinger of a story that tourists
would never forget. I wrangled everybody from network VPs to janitors and
made them the focus of the tour.

Bob Sales was a regular feature of my tours. As part of the tour, pages
would lead tour groups into the "Midway," which was the VIP parking lot
between studio 3 (Leno's Tonight Show studio) and the infamous NBC
Commissary. Leno's car was always the star attraction of the Midway, and
regardless of which car Jay drove to work, Bob was there to tell tourists
all about it (or make it up, as it entertained him to do so). He was always
friendly to me, and I was forever grateful for anybody who contributed to
my tours.

I did not know that Bob was fighting cancer in those days, or that he
recently lost that 25 year fight. This week's installment of the Jay Leno's
Garage YouTube channel features the last car that Bob built for himself, a
1950 Plymouth that Jay Leno is helping to sell to raise money for Bob's
family. Leno was very emotional as he reviewed and drove the car, but --
really -- it is the Leno I like to see, the real guy talking about
something that he had a genuine passion about. Bob was at his side for
decades, and as much as I feel for Bob's actual family, my heart also goes
out to Jay and all those who knew him.

RIP Bob Sales. God just got a new mechanic.

https://youtu.be/FzO1KnkQGts