On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 2:15 PM, Bob Jersey <bob.in.jer...@juno.com> wrote:

> The Detroit native got through Michigan State and was a sports coach
> before achieving rasslin' fame (right up to a championship match with the
> Hulkster, 'toobed); film buffs may remember him as "Ed Wood"'s associate
> Tor Johnson... 79.
>
> Variety
> <http://variety.com/2017/tv/columns/george-the-animal-steele-dead-wwe-ed-wood-dies-1201991318/>
> (link)

The Variety reporter should have at least made some calls and tried to get
a live comment rather than just quoting tweets.

When I was growing up in Pittsburgh, Studio Wrestling aired around noon on
Saturdays just after cartoons. During the '70s Steele was the most
compelling wrestler to watch both in the ring and doing interviews. Showing
Steele and Hogan is a bit of a disservice as Steele's best days were
earlier than that era.

Around 10 years ago I went to a minor league hockey in Johnstown. By chance
it was George Steele night and in a big room off the concourse Steele sat
at a table signing autographs for a long line of fans. From a distance he
just looked like somebody's grandpa to me.