I suspect the networks will settle with the Union - they are so much more
vulnerable to a strike triggering a tidal wave of cord cutting (or at least
severe fraying). My wife watches almost exclusively on cable; she loves a
lot of the stuff on Netflix and Amazon, but feels like it is too much
bother to access it. If they stop her shows for even 2 weeks she will learn
how easy it is, and may never go back. Give the writers decent health care
and pensions and make small adjustments in the formula for paying them - it
would be worth it.

The article says some scripted series may end early - is that really true?
I could see that for summer shows, but surely current scripted shows are
all shot or at least written by now.

My favorite line in the article is:  "Michael Bay blamed the strike for
ruining “Transformers 2,” since they only had three weeks to put the story
together" *always great when the same sentence works as both a straight
line and a punchline).

But the most interesting line was: "In recent years, the number of scripted
series jumped by 50 percent, but the number of produced episodes only grew
by 6 percent." I wish they gave the Zero Year for this claim - if true it
is kind of amazing. The explanation is that most of the new cable shows
have short seasons - less than 50% the number of episodes of a network
season.

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 6:06 AM Steve Timko <steveti...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good Washington Post story on the strike.
>
> Will TV writers strike? Here’s what you need to know.
> http://wapo.st/2ojchEA
>
> Not sent from an iPhone.
> On Apr 24, 2017, at 8:44 PM, 'David Bruggeman' via TVorNotTV <
> tvornottv@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>>
>> Unfortunately this time it will be harder for Conan, Jon Stewart and
>> Stephen Colbert to have a fake fight over Mike Huckabee.
>>
>> David

Sent from Gmail Mobile