I watched this live when it happened. Kind of...

However it's worth noting that most viewers *didn't* see this. The Ten
O'Clock News is the BBC1 main bulletin, and simulcast on the BBC News
channel. Only viewers on the News channel saw this. BBC1 viewers mostly got
a continuity announcer (yes - we still have those, but not in vision) read
the next night's listings, and then a slide saying there was a temporary
problem. It was accompanied by some awful muzack.

It's also worth noting that BBC World News Channel viewers won't have seen
this because they get a different bulletin at that time.

Adam