I've mentioned this "fan fiction" series before, including a recent
interview I did with the series creator and "Kirk," Vic Mignogna. Today
they released the final episode, which concludes the two-parter that ended
the Starship Enterprise's five-year mission and brought the crew back to
Earth.

When I spoke with Vic, who as you can imagine was a life-long Trekkie, he
lamented that the original series was cancelled, and thus never got the
series finale it deserved. The last two episodes of his series served to
provide fans with that proper sendoff. There are several callbacks to
original series episodes, returning characters, and a few surprises.

Vic also wanted to connect the proverbial dots between the original series
and the start of the movie franchise (why did Spock go to Vulcan to purge
all emotion, why did McCoy retire, why did Kirk accept a promotion to take
him away from the one job -- and ship -- he loved?).

No fan-fiction series is going to be perfect, and there are legitimate
criticisms to be made about "Star Trek Continues," but at a time when
humanity is running a little short on optimism and hope, these guys
provided well written, well acted, well produced episodic Trek... something
I feel CBS All Access failed to do.

Just about the only thing those who never watched "Star Trek Continues"
need to know is at the start of the fan-fiction series, they introduced the
character of Dr. McKenna, sent by Starfleet Command as an experimental
program to provide a ship's counselor. Other than that, the rest is...
well... Trek.

"To Boldly Go..." part 1

https://vimeo.com/236207052

"To Boldly Go..." part 2