Local news is something I worry about quite a lot. I think an awful lot is
taken for granted.

Newspapers are dying - particularly local ones; radio stations have become
parts of big groups, rarely maintaining significant journalistic resources;
and now these new FCC rules have come into place in the US market.

Except for the TV situation, we're exactly the same. In the UK we only
really have two local news providers on TV: local BBC teams, and local ITV
teams. Their main early evening bulletins (6:00pm for ITV and 6:30pm for
BBC) are very popular with viewers. The BBC local news bulletin is the most
popular daily news bulletin on television cumulatively across 18 different
regions.

But when people say that they're getting their news from their phones, the
question is what news are they actually getting? Who are the primary
reporters on the ground collating the information? Reporting is much more
than just passing on information supplied to you on a plate. Yes, there's
unquestioningly a lot of "churnalism" - so called reporting based on press
releases. But there's much more than that.

Local police forces may supply crime details, and local government
officials press release or tweet policy initiatives. But who's challenging
them? Who's asking the questions? Who's holding our democracies accountable?

I wouldn't pretend that the average local newscast is going to be winning a
Pulitzer Prize, national wire services like AP don't get this granular.

While our phones are good at giving us traffic information and local
weather, there is no equivalent for news gathering. Perhaps there is
someone locally who is interested, and goes to local council proceedings
and blogs about it all. But that's the exception not the rule. And while
there may be someone in one neighbourhood, there isn't necessarily in the
next. And in any case, they may or may not be any good.

It's not like there isn't plenty of low level corruption and illegality
anyway. Now imagine how much there'll be when there's nobody to report it,
dig into it, and hold those responsible accountable?

Adam