On Monday, February 5, 2018 at 8:13:26 PM UTC-5, Kevin M. (RPCV) wrote:

> Until I heard him interviewed about his appearance on Foyles War, I didn’t
> know he was born and raised in England and permanently rejected his own
> accent when he moved to America. By all accounts, he was a gentleman.
>
> On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 5:05 PM 'Bob Jersey' via TVorNotTV <
> tvor...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>

>> "Frasier"'s father... Tony winner in '86.  In his adopted Chicago; 77.
>>
>> USA TODAY
>> <https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2018/02/05/john-mahoney-who-played-cranky-dad-frasier-dies-77/309472002/>
>>
>> (link)

> Kevin M. (RPCV)

And of course certain websites are using his death as an opportunity to try
to make innuendos regarding his sexual orientation ("the only heterosexuals
in the Frasier cast were Kelsey Grammer and Eddie the dog"). He should
never have been asked, but he deflected all such questions with grace and
dignity. I loved his performances in "Foyles" and "The Hudsucker Proxy"
(ironically playing a newspaper editor trying to dig up dirt on a new
celebrity)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVWgQkik_nY)

In my misguided youth I was an extra in "Tin Men" and his reputation on set
(according to other drones - I spoke to others in the cast but not him) was
that he could not have been more professional, accommodating, and
congenial.