Last Tuesday night, when Stephen had as guests the authors of the new book
about the Harvey Weinstein affair and #MeToo "She Said," there was a cable
news-style lower third all throughout the interview--which was two acts!
The first lower third at 1:48 in the segment read "JOURNALISTS JODI KANTOR
& MEGAN TWOHEY ON BREAKING THE HARVEY WEINSTEIN STORY."  It was replaced at
2:26 by "JOURNALISTS JODI KANTOR & MEGAN TWOHEY ON THEIR BOOK, [i]SHE
SAID[/I].  They went back to the first graphic at 3:30.  At 4:44 came
"JOURNALISTS...TALK #METOO POST-WEINSTEIN."  The graphics disappeared at
5:47.  In the second segment appearing at around :43 was "[i]SHE SAID[I]
AUTHORS...ON TRUMP AND #METOO."  Jimmy took out the graphic at 2;27.

Now this is the first time I've seen any late-night talk show do a cable
news-style you-don't-need-captioning-when-we've-got-it-on-the screen
graphic for a segment.  "The Late Show" hasn't done it since last Tuesday
(and they've had politicians on since then) and they sure as hell didn't do
it for the other guest last week, Ansel Egort.  The lower thirds were in
the same font they use the gag lower thirds they sometimes insert over
actual news footage in the cold opening.  But why?  Were they thinking that
the viewers would not know what the guests were talking about and was this
network meddling with a threat to take it off if they said the words "Les
Moonves?"

You can see the segments yourself at:

https://youtu.be/0wOP4NFGjDM

and

https://youtu.be/IOyfBD3qUuw

BTW, what the hell did what Jon Batiste was playing as walk-on music have
anything to do with the guests?  I'm surprised Paul Shaffer hasn't had a
conversation with him about walk-on music.

And Monday night, the first commercial break had the spots squeezed back on
the screen while we saw "behind-the-scenes" video footage squeezed back
even farther and a lower third saying that the "Meanwhile..." segment was
next.  Now I've seen this done on reality comps that have live episodes to
I guess prove that what they're doing is live, but outside of shows like
last Thursday night, we know Colbert's recorded.  Or was this just
something to make the advertiser who paid for the billboard happy?  (I
haven't seen tonight's show yet, so I don't know if they're doing it again
tonight--yet.)