Mark Harmon was the only panel guest on Colbert Friday night. I guess he
was the perfect Friday night guest, as he is non topical, and the interview
could have been taped anytime in the last week or two. But what stood out
is how retro (and interesting);the segments were. Someone did a great
pre-interview with him, and he had three or four traditional talk show
Hollywood stories to tell, which Colbert set him up for in non ironic
fashion  - about Johnny Carson, Michael Cain who was with him on his first
talk show appearance on (probably) Merv Griffin, Karl Malden and Elizabeth
Taylor. They were not as dramatic or funny as the story Dave liked to
celebrate as the best talk show story ever, but they reminded me why that
style, in many wats deconstructed by the Letterman approach to the genre,
worked, when it worked and was done right. He also promoed the upcoming
return of a certain character on his TV show.

 I’m not a huge Harmon fan, but like most people I find him likable, and
his performance as a secret service agent for 3 or 4 episodes on TWW will
always live as one of the best guest starring arcs in the history of
dramatic television. Also, I grew up in Los Angeles back in the day, and
remember him as a UCLA QB ( though I was a USC fan), and knew his father as
the UCLA play by play and sports guy on KTLA. If I were interviewing him I
definitely would have talked about TWW (when Harmon was a guest on TWWW
podcast he talked about how those episodes led to the Gibbs role, first on
JAG and then NCIS), his football days and his rather amazing father, and
the controversies on NCIS and the later spin off. But I have to say the old
school talk show story approach was entertaining.
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile