On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 10:03 PM stannc <sta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> CFerg was the first time that I had noticed it being done. He came back
> from commercial and was wearing a different suit.
>
> I know that Letterman wanted to tape his show the same way that Johnny
> did. The in-studio clock was set at 11:30/5 and didn’t stop unless
> something went badly. The only concession that I saw Dave make in the later
> years was doing two shows on Wednesday or Thursday in order to have a new
> show on Friday.

There was a time that Letterman taped the Friday show on Monday. which
makes sense as it's the beginning of the week and Dave and the staff have
the most energy. Obviously it has its drawbacks for a topical humor show.
In 2008 I applied for tickets for a Monday and was told I had the option of
the Monday show taping at 3:30 and the Friday show taping at 8:00.

I can't speak to the timing of Carson's show but the Late Show tapings ran
a little long, usually if they needed to pad somewhere if they had to make
a cut somewhere else. I remember another taping I went to where the show
ended around 4:50. The first guest was John Cusack. The interview was
rambling and went on and on. When I saw the broadcast version later that
night most of it had been cut.