Continuity announcers are still alive and well at the BBC in the UK! Indeed
each UK *nation *gets its own announcer. So you hear someone different in
Scotland to England - in part because there are slight regional variations
in programming. And they really are there all the time - not just
pre-recorded links.

Adam