On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 10:36 AM PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:

I would be delighted if they just got rid of Thursday Night Football
> entirely.
>
> The article kind of buried the lead; the cost of broadcasting the NFL is
> expected to go up 50-80%, which would be a combined total of  $4.5 to $5.6
> BILLION.
>
> The deplorable that own most NFL teams only think in terms not of making a
> profit, but of continually increasing and maximizing their profit.

Businesses exist to make a profit. If there is a problem with a capitalist
enterprise it is structural and the solution will be found in regulatory
change not hoping wealthy people have better judgment. If the money is out
there to be had they will be going after it.

Thursday Night Football is the result of a failed business decision. The
NFL started its own media operation with the NFL Network (with its own
journalists which ties to another thread) and they intended to put the
channel on to cable systems at a premium price. The cable companies had no
enthusiasm to add them to basic service so the NFL decided to form an
exclusive weekly game for its network to strong-arm the cable companies. It
soon became clear that the tactic backfired and the game needed network
coverage so the NFL offered it up to the networks and made more money.

And it turns out the networks can't make enough money from the Thursday
game to justify keeping it. The growth area in media is now in streaming
and media companies will drop overpriced content in order to free resources
up for streaming. Thursday Night Football doesn't exist because there was a
strong demand for it and no one will suffer if it disappears. The players
and coaches certainly hate the short week if they're scheduled to play.

As for the projected rise in rights fees, that is more interesting. As we
have noted on this list the ratings for live sports are cratering. Whether
it's a direct result of the pandemic and displaced spring sports, and the
ratings will return to higher levels once the emergency is over, or people
were watching just from habit and once the habit is broken they won't be
back, we won't know for a while. I haven't checked football ratings to see
if they are stable or falling like the other sports. The reason I think the
league can project much higher rights fees is the entrance of sports
betting companies as advertisers. Since their business is so high margin
they have a lot of cash to spend and they will buy up air time if other
advertisers drop out.